5. A 70 ft.
traditional motorboat which has been well maintained throughout its life. It was built as a tanker in 1946 by W. J.
Yarwood (no. 781 on their register) for the Staffordshire Chemical Co. for the purpose
of transporting bulk liquid by-products from Shelton Iron and Steel Works. In 1960 it was sold into private ownership
where the hold was opened to allow use for a wider range of cargoes. During this time the boat was based on the
Erewash Canal and played an important role in the successful battle to prevent
the Canal’s abandonment.
The boat retains a traditional rebuilt
boatman’s cabin complete with ‘Star’ range, followed by the unchanged engine
room. The hold has been equipped with
removable covers both for protection and to restore its appearance as a
tanker. Power is provided by the
original and efficient 14 hp. 2 cylinder Lister CEM water cooled engine, for
which there are ample spare parts (may be sold separately).
This is a first class boat and continues to
be used regularly. As a mark of its
provenance it is listed no. 2476 on the National Register of Historic Vessels.
Current Price: £38000.00
This 70ft Traditional Motor Narrowboat – Trent 5 boat is located in Sutton Coldfield, B73 6PE and is being sold on eBay by clphil-74.